Friday, October 19, 2012

Awana

I was pretty happy when I heard that our church had an Awana ministry on Sunday nights. I remember going to Awana as a little girl and learning Bible verses, playing fun games and hearing stories about missionaries that had me mesmerized.

I clearly remember sitting in a circle with the other kids while we heard the story of Amy Carmichael praying as a little girl for God to change her brown eyes to blue, and how she learned that "No" is a loving answer from God just as much as "yes." I remember being astonished to hear that God had answered "No" to her prayer because He had given her brown eyes for a very special reason: He would later call her to India to minister to the mistreated temple girls, and she would not have been given access into the temples if her eyes were blue.

Wow! This God I was learning about was amazing to me.

Thank you, Dad and Mom, for putting in the time and effort to get me there each week. You gave me a really special gift.

Well, it's hard to believe, but now I have a little guy who goes to Awana once a week. It's been pretty funny to hear stories about how Mac has been doing...not that anything I hear surprises me. After the first night, I heard he had the time of his life in the gym for game time. He had no clue how to play any of the organized games (nor did he care to learn) and apparently he just ran around like a crazy man the whole time.

Yep, that's Mac.

Each week we are supposed to take time learning verses together at home, and this week is the first week that mommy and daddy have had it together enough to give it a try. Our verse for this week is:

"...God is truthful." John 3:33

We started saying the verse together at lunch the other day, and Corrie had the verse memorized in about 30 seconds. I start the verse for her "...God..." and she excitedly finishes it by saying: "is foofool!" (truthful), all with a huge smile that melts your hearts to pieces.

And then it's Mac's turn. Here is how he recites the verse back to me...every time...with great passion:

"Robots are NOT truthful!"

Yep, that's Mac. Love that little guy.


No comments:

Post a Comment